Friday 14 June 2013

Book Beginnings: Herzog by Saul Bellow


This will be my first time participating in this meme hosted by Rose City Reader! The task is to share the first line or two from your current read and provide any first impressions. Sounds like fun! Here's mine:


"If I am out of my mind, it's all right with me, thought Moses Herzog."

This is one of those opening sentences that completely hooked me and I immediately got that wonderful and exciting feeling that this was going to be an awesome novel. Ever since starting it yesterday, I have been unable to put it down and my initial impression has been correct so far. It's scary how much I see myself in the character of Moses Herzog: neurotic, philosophical, quirky, compulsive, self-depreciating, trouble establishing relationships with women, the list goes on. The writing is incredible--funny, intense, witty, provocative and full of compassion. Where have you been all my life Saul Bellow? I have a good feeling that this novel might become one of my all-time favorites. 

Has anyone else read this or anything else by Bellow? 

4 comments:

  1. That is one great opener. It certainly hooked me in. I'm going to look this book up.

    My post

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Vonnie, glad you think so! I will be curious what you think of it if you ever get around to reading it in the near future. :P Oh, I also really like your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never heard of this but that's a hell of an opening sentence! I've added it to my TBR and I'll look out for your review - hope it keeps being as awesome as it sounds!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I actually plan on finishing it tonight and will hopefully have a review up soon. Let's just say this novel is absolutely brilliant and I cant wait to see how it all wraps up... :P

    ReplyDelete